Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Simple pleasures


His favorite things are cardboard and paper. Notice in the box he's holding his favorite postcard. When the mail comes, it's mostly junk mail. Look! I say to him. Some mail came for you! He rips it to shreds with glee, and tries to eat it as well. I am vigilant and remove it before he ingests any. How he loves doing what I'm doing! If I'm reading my mail, he wants to read his mail. His postcard came from a real estate duo who paid a little extra for that marketing edge, for it is no ordinary postcard. No, indeed. This clever postcard is laminated. We treasure this item in our household and are quite careful not to throw it out. He has gotten many miles of safe reading and chewing pleasure from it. In retrospect, I still have mild regrets at the hundreds of dollars wasted spent preparing for the arrival of my first child. When all that was needed was cardboard and junk mail.

2 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

I let Middle EAT those baby books.
the heavy cardboard ones.
pop him in the stroller and go shopping. hand him the book --
I have one left, eaten to the spine.

oh the comments folks would make.
a terrible mother I was and am.
THAT I LET HIM EAT PAPER AND INK!

3:19 AM, November 09, 2005  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

yeah, who needs toys? my kids always prefer the wrapping they come in.

2:27 PM, November 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home