Friday, November 04, 2005

Friday show and tell

Today's theme is Addiction. Suddenly addiction is a difficult word for me. I would make light of it in earlier days, but now, there is a solemn hush that settles in my mind when I consider the word. Addiction. In some form or another, Addiction reared its ugly head and consumed my brother, rendering him nearly unrecognizable, and barely a shell of his former self. Ultimately, a vessel only, with no life remaining. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. His earthly vessel is no more than dust now, and his spirit and soul have been released into forever, where he is free and at peace, himself once more, unentangled and unencumbered by addiction. Addiction. HOW UGLY YOU ARE! I shout it to the universe. LEAVE US ALONE! Alas, we are not wholly powerless in the matter. We fall snare to addiction by our own choices. It's a subtle dance we dance. Seldom do we see it coming, and if we do, often we look the other way. It won't happen to me. Who gets the last laugh? Not you. Not me. Addiction.

I don't want to make light of addictions today. Today I will show and tell my obsessions. Similar, but not quite the same. I have many obsessions. I am somewhat OCDly (Obsessive-Compulsive-Disorderly), after all. I made up my own acronym-adjective, thank you very much. Or is that an adverb? I am awful with grammatical terms and definitions, although I can sometimes manage to string words together in a not-too-unpleasing way.

Obsession Category: The quest for perfection. Currently the quest is for the perfect tea and coffee cup. Volume, density, weight, shape, design, color, price. These are all important factors. Previous quests included the search for the perfect pepper mill. I didn't find it. I gave up and then sold most of my surplus on eBay. The measure was found at J. Paul Getty Museum restaurant in Los Angeles. A compact stainless steel device that ground fine to coarse with such smooth perfection. I could never find its equal.

Other obsessions can be read about, ad nauseum, if one were to peruse this blog. The number one obsession, unparalleled, unmatched, hands down, is none other than MY BOY BOO. As it should be.

5 Comments:

Blogger Susie Sunshine said...

What sweet, sweet blue eyes.

STOP MAKING ME WANT A BABY, PEOPLE.

10:51 AM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

hey Susie Sunshine, I'll have another if you do. Bwahahahahahaaa!!

This way madness lies.

God, Sueeeus, your kid is adorable. I want to just *gnaw* on his lower lip...gently of course. My kids are used to me snacking on them, however other people's kids may not be so....

2:00 PM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger blackbird said...

Oh Sueeeus,
of course I could not know what your week would hold for you.
I am so sorry you had to deal with my ridiculousness.
Words can be so powerful --
hopefully my telling you that I am holding you in my heart will give you some small measure of comfort.

3:40 PM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger sueeeus said...

One of Boo's other nicknames is Bubbadelicious, because he is very slurpable. He's used to it. Complete strangers stop and ask if they can gobble him up. He gives them his muppet smile and slobbers drool all down his shirt, just to let them know he appreciates the compliment.

...and I didn't take any offense to the topic of addiction. I just like to play along with these show and tellsies and SPTs and such. It's merely coincidence, and I'm just having to take a closer look at the serious side of addictions, at least some of them, of late. Not by choice, believe me. No harm done, no feelings bruised, no worries.

6:15 PM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Suse said...

Oh you are right, we should have termed it 'obsession'.

Hang in there, my friend. You are in our thoughts, as are your family members.

10:05 PM, November 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home