Sunday, November 06, 2005

Oh, there's more

I used to own an old building in a small town off the beaten path on the scenic route to somewhere. I bought it with an ex-fiance when the romance was fresh and we were living on dreams of a new and better life. We were going to make a bed & breakfast and live a simpler life in a sleepy small town. The reality set in. The romance fizzled. Lies, corruption, that sort of thing. Much drama. I bought him out of his portion. Real estate values were flat for years and years. I gave him a fair price. More than fair, if you ask some. (Although I'm fairly certain he thinks he's been had.)

This place was a sitting duck. After the breakup, there were several breakins. I suspect the ex was involved in some of the first breakins, but that's all water under the bridge. I'm over it. Karma will visit him, if she hasn't already. I suppose I can hardly blame anybody for vandalizing my property. After all, it was sitting there, vacant, begging for someone to throw rocks through the windows. Begging for someone to pry the doors off. Begging for someone to kick the chimneys in. Begging for someone to climb out on the roof and kick bricks down. Begging for someone to spray paint obscenities on the walls, counters, floors, mirrors, toilets. Yes, even the toilets. Begging for someone to start a fire in the middle of the floor. Oh, that building wanted to be abused. Yes indeed.

How stressful that was for me! We would drive 7 hours, work like fiends to run damage control and secure the place, attempt to eradicate the weeds (nasty letters about noxious weeds and the illegality thereof would make their way to my post box from time to time) , and drive 7 more hours back, all in the course of a weekend. It was brutal, and I must say the cool cat was heroic and his help was invaluable. True love. I still loved the building for what it was, but it just wasn't practical to keep in the family, and it wasn't fair to try and hold onto it when it represented the hopes and dreams of a previous romance. I sold it this year. Karma was good to me. The market was inflated and I made a tidy profit. (Enough to buy a new truck, thank you very much, with some leftovers to invest in new hopes and dreams, this time with my partner, friend, and forever-man, the Cool Cat himself.)

So the cool cat has a nice new truck to drive, and I have no more stress from this beautiful historic building that screamed for abuse. Karma has been just.

3 Comments:

Blogger Suse said...

So sad that you had to let that place go, but it must be such a relief too.

I loved sitting on the front steps that day, looking at the view through the arch, talking, dreaming, reaching, remembering.

4:48 AM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Sounds as if it worked out the way it's supposed to be. It's still a loss though...all of your hopes and dreams wrapped up in a place and then you must let them go. However, hopes and dreams are always evolving so here's to a new hopes, new dreams and a new slate...that's not a bad thing at all.

3:49 PM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger Yasmin said...

Change at any time is frightening but sometimes you just have to do it. Good Luck - and if you ever start that B&B with another dream place , I'll be there.

6:22 PM, November 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home