Friday, November 11, 2005

Friday show and tell

I like Blackbird's Show and Tell game. This week I had the honor of choosing the theme - Favorite Cup or Mug. I've been on a quest for the perfect cup for quite some time, and I'm looking forward to oohing and ahhing and being jealous of other people's fine beverage-ware.

If I weren't so particular, finding a good cup wouldn't be an issue. However. Sort of like Goldilocks, things need to be just right, or I'm not quite satisfied.

Currently, this is the closest I've come. I discovered it last week, at Pier 1. But it's still not quite there. I love the cobalt blue. I have tons of cobalt blue dishes - food looks so nice when presented with this color. Bright green broccoli, orange carrots, multi-colored peppers... So lovely! So. Cobalt is one of my favorite consumption receptacle colors. I was therefore delighted to find this cup. And even more delighted that it was 20% off. I like the ribbon handle. This is a very nice ergonomic grip. I can fit all four fingers through the handle and wrap them snugly and comfortingly around the cup, or I can wrap all four nicely around the handle itself. Both good qualities. It is made of porcelain, which has a nice sturdy weight and feel without being thick and clunky.

I especially like the swirling leaves. The cobalt glaze is raised above the white floral design, so it has a pleasing texture as well. The only thing that is not quite right about this cup is the volume. It's a bit much for me. It stands too tall for my Senseo coffee maker (but that may not matter too much, as I have several issues with that particular coffee machine, and its days may be numbered). Beverages lose their heat before they can be fully enjoyed. This happens with small cups as well, though, as I tend to take my sweet time and a cup of something soothing usually lasts an hour or two.
I bought four, and am contemplating going back for another four. I might, after all, entertain, one day, in the odd chance that I make some (local*) friends and invite them over. It's also possible that more than two family members at a time might actually visit, in which case it would be nice to serve coffee or tea in matching mugs. The sale is on for a few more days. I will give it some more thought.

*My best friends are hundreds, even thousands, of miles away.

2 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

soooo pretty.

and I realized that I forgot to write about the handle.
the handle is v important (how many fingers fit through etc.).

this was a fun topic this week, thanks to you.

11:00 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i am a big cobalt fan too - in fact my mixer, blender, food processor, cutting boards, spatulas - all cobalt. my husband makes fun of me.

i like the phrase "food consumption receptacle."

11:03 AM, November 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home