Thursday, October 06, 2005

Show and Tell

I like Show and Tell. It's a fun diversion. Today's topic is "something in your kitchen that you cannot live without". So here it is. The Classic Checkerboard Cake Pan Set. In its original box. Okay, kidding. It's never been used. I'm waiting for my little boy to be big enough to be thrilled by a checkerboard cake. Assuming he doesn't wind up with diabetes problems that tend to run in the family. Having had gestational diabetes, I'm told that he will be more susceptible to the disease. And since two of my siblings and both parents have it, the odds increase. So. There's always Splenda.


I love kitchen gadgets and whatnot. But what can I not live without? Hmmm. I almost posted my coffee mill, as that is extremely important, but I go in and out of coffee drinking phases. That left me with two possibilities of those things that are used most.

Here we have the Cutco Hardy Slicer. If I could have only one knife, this would be it. It has a serrated edge and cuts through meat, tough items, veggies, tomatoes (very important to be able to slice a tomato without destroying it), cheese, whatever. An all around good knife. Nice and heavy. I don't so much like the plasticy handle, but what can you do. Yes, I tend to cave when the peddler's give impressive sales demonstrations. At least I didn't give in and buy the whole set.
And here we have the asparagus pot. I know, what's so great about an asparagus pot? Well, see, it is tall and narrow and has a basket and a lid with a steam hole and a heavy base. All good attributes. I use it for pasta with the basket, and it doesn't take donkey's years and forever to boil the water. I use it for popcorn, sans basket, because I love stove top popcorn, and again, it pops up and fluffy and there's less burnage with the smaller surface area, allowing for a nice big batch of fluffy hot popcorn. YUM! One of my favorite things. And it works great for steaming veggies - using the basket again. Easter time? Boil up a bundle of eggs and fish 'em out with no problem with a slick lift of the basket. It's good for soups. It would probably be good for deep frying if I were into that. So you see, it's an all-around good pot.

2 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

How in the world do you keep that pot soooo shiny?

Hey.
good of you to play!

6:04 PM, October 06, 2005  
Blogger Suse said...

I want me one of those asparagus pots! The shape of it is pleasing.

7:18 PM, October 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home