Friday, September 30, 2005

If I read another LOL...

I'm going to scream! I have a pet peeve. (One of many.) That text message shorthand crap annoys the hell out of me. I'm guilty of some, like the smiley faces. I can live with those. But the LOLs are driving me nuts. Like fingernails on a chalkboard. Those and the URs. Those are the worst. And anything that uses a numeral for phonetic equivalence. GR8. H8. B4. U2. (Okay, as a band, Yeah Baby! In lieu of 'you too', no thanks.)

LOL is the absolute worst. Laugh out loud or lots of laughs or something like that. The first thing I notice is that almost everywhere I've seen it used, the preceding expression wasn't funny enough to warrant a chuckle, let alone a laugh. NOT FUNNY.

OK is okay. It's been around a long time. SOS is OK too, but I wouldn't use it unless stranded on a desert island, and that's not likely to happen any time soon. SOL. Now that one is fine. As with CYA, they come up frequently, especially at work. I'm actually tempted to use BTW and WRT, although I always reconsider and type the full phrases out, just in case the recipient isn't prepared to translate.

Phonetic equivalence in other use is often annoying to me as well. Karpet King. Kwik Kleen. What is UP with that? Not clever. Not clever at all.

Okay, the root of the problem is that I'm sleep deprived, as usual, and today have junk in my throat that's making me cough. It won't come up, it won't go down. I hate that. My throat is raw and my bottle of Robitussin has an expiration date of 12/03 stamped on the label. I took a double dose, but I don't think it did anything.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so here is something funny about lol- my sister used to use it to sign off on all of her emails to me, and i was freaking out because it bothered me so much...turns out, she (not computer-savvy) was attempting to abbreviate 'lots of love.'

11:23 PM, September 30, 2005  
Blogger Suse said...

Ewww I detest the LOL too. But I'm partial to a smiley every now and then.

:)

See?!

6:28 AM, October 01, 2005  
Blogger blackbird said...

what about FOTFL?
(falling on the floor laughing)
ha. ha.

I am partial to WTF.
And I don't just type it.
Oh no.
I scream it at people.
as in:
WTF PEOPLE?!

it's really very funny.
maybe not LOL funny. but funny.

7:37 PM, October 01, 2005  
Blogger Alice said...

I just can't get my head around abbreviated script either, not even when I send an SMS on the phone (even if I actually KNEW what all the abbreviations were). It's like when I'm typing, if I see a mistake I have to go back and fix it there and then rather than waiting until I check it all at the end.

Hope your throat is feeling much better.

4:08 AM, October 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home