Thursday, September 29, 2005

Word for the day

Kipe
\Kipe\, n. [Cf. OE. kipen to catch, Icel. kippa to pull, snatch. Cf. Kipper.] An osier basket used for catching fish. [Prov. Eng.]

I was just pondering what I plan to post when I show and tell what I'm wearing tomorrow, when the word kipe surfaced. I had no idea how to spell it. Or where it came from. All I knew was that I grew up with this word as a part of my family's common vocabulary. It stands to reason that we learned this word from my eccentric anglophile dad. Kippers, are, after all, very Brit. And delish. I have a vague recollection of kippers wrapped in newspaper, piping hot and tasting very good. That was a very long time ago. I was eight. We lived in Cambridge. What a glorious place! But that's another story.

Usage: Mo-ommmmmm, he kiped my _________. Didchu kipe my __________? Who kiped my ________?

From kipper to snatch to take to steal. Mystery solved. I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home