Friday, September 23, 2005

Friday show and tell

Blackbird's show and tell theme this week is chosen by Pea Soup - Favorite Piece of Art From Your Home.

How to choose?! I have so many artsy things in my home. Most are things that family members or I have done, some are copies of famous things, some are prints, but two are the real deal. Original oils by a fabulous artist named De Leva. Well, I think he's fabulous. He's still alive, so the paintings aren't worth what, say, a Van Gogh or a Dali are worth, but one day, they just might be! So. Here we go.
This painting is enttitled, Dripping Will. It is oil on wood. Now, abstract is generally not my thing, but I absolutely love the way this artist handles color and depth. There are so many things going on in his paintings. This one reminds me of Winged Victory.
Here is a closeup of the 'wing'.
And a closeup of the middle part. Now, this particular piece doesn't showcase color quite so much as others in his portfolio, but there is something about the exquisite details. It's a small painting, with quite alot of texture and detail.
Another closeup. See the spooky eyes peering out? There are other organic things like bones and teeth lurking beneath the surface in various parts of the piece. All in all, very interesting.
This painting lives in a nook above the fireplace in my family room, along with a trio of bronze ballerinas, a bronze girl with lute, and a cast Rodin. (Excuse the poor lighting. The nook has a spotlight but my photography skills are sorely lacking and I'm too lazy to set up a tripod to get a good photo with no blur or flash glare.)

3 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

Gosh, that painting is WILD. I need some time over at your house. Your rooms are fascinating to me.

9:47 AM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger sueeeus said...

Come on over! My house if full of color. I went wild with paint. I think I have eleven different colors going on over here.

10:52 AM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger Suse said...

I love that painting,and I love the nook! With ballerinas!

I think your family room is the same colour as my study/sewing room/junk room.

10:45 PM, September 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home