Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Scenes from a Memorial

Preparing for the trip was very difficult. There was so little time to get things together. Going through a lifetime's accumulation of photos. Finding the sum of a person's life is only 124 photos. Crying. Shopping for suitable ash containers. Creating a slideshow for the service. Finding the right music. Crying. Installing a DVD burner in my computer. Getting it to work. Packing up. Crying. It was emotionally and physically exhausting.
We had a display with photos and flowers.
Small boxes filled with his ashes for loved ones to take. The lavender baby blanket that all nine of us came home from the hospital in. Some letters he had written.
Ashes and flowers on the mantle.
And balloons with tiny tissue packets of ashes tied to the ends.
They were beautiful.
We released his ashes to the sky. It was a beautiful sight to behold. The winds carried him away. Up, up, and away.

When it's my time, I hope somebody sends me off like that. Up, up, and away.

4 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

It looks so beautiful.
I love the idea of the tiny boxes and balloons -- it is so inspiring.

I will hold you in my thoughts this holiday.

10:32 AM, November 23, 2005  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

It looks lovely, what a wonderful way to be remembered.

Thinking of you.

1:43 PM, November 23, 2005  
Blogger Alice said...

I'm sure your brother was smiling! What a wonderful send-off, and how special that so many people were able to share in such a special celebration. Well done, Sueeeus. I hope the memories of this day will start to ease your pain. God bless you always.

2:24 PM, November 23, 2005  
Blogger Suse said...

What a lovely farewell.

You're in my thoughts always, but especially now.

5:48 PM, November 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home