Sunday, November 27, 2005

Finding balance

I love how he grasps my fingers with all his little might when he's tired and settling down to sleep. He pulls my hand to his face and doesn't let go.
My heart swells. It is indescribable, this feeling of being wanted and needed. I drink it up, breathe it in. It fills me up.
I know I shouldn't indulge him with too much coddling. There is a balance that I need to find, where he can know he's secure in me, that he is wanted and needed and loved, and where I know he's developing self-confidence, trust, and independence.

It is difficult for me. I caress his sweet little face until he drifts off to sleep. I slowly pry my fingers away.

4 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

okay.
I just want you to know -
I did an experiment with my Youngest.
I gave him ENTIRELY TOO MUCH CODDLING.
And he?
Is normal and like to cuddle.

I say - coddle away! coddle a lot!
coddle all the live long day!

2:56 PM, November 27, 2005  
Blogger Suse said...

I have to agree with blackbird.

The more cuddling and coddling they get, the happier and more secure they will be. You can NEVER coddle too much!

(In my opinion).

Besides, it's such a great word.

coddle
coddle
CODDLE!

5:21 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Sarah Ann Smith said...

Cuddle, coddle, hug, smooch, tease, tickle, love, then do it more.... I used to live in Africa, and the Americans always noticed that African babies rarely cry. Why? Because they are swaddled to their moms all day--close and snug and safe. They only fuss if hungry or wet. Seems like a good thing, to me. My boys are 12 and 7 now, and they are good, loving boys, and fall asleep on their own. Cuddle!

Cheers, Sarah (who surfed into here somehow through one of the art quilters...)

3:59 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger sueeeus said...

Armed with your collective Seal of Approval, I shall henceforth coddle guilt-freely and with much ado and aplomb. PHEW!

4:01 PM, November 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home