Saturday, February 25, 2006

Marveling in the moment

When I awoke to whimpering at 4 a.m. the other day, and found my child lodged beneath my dresser, I decided it's time for him to learn to sleep in his own room. We had his room ready when he came home from the hospital with him, over a year ago, but never actually used it. It began to collect things, until it was filled with bags and boxes and ribbons. It had become, and stayed, the gift wrapping room. We moved all the non-baby things out, and I put a cube shelf unit in his closet for his clothes (which were conveniently in the laundry room until now). We gathered most of the toys from around the house and arranged them on shelves for him. We left a few of his favorites downstairs. I put a queen mattress directly on the floor and finally found a use for the crib bumper that I'd worked so hard to make him, over a year ago. It is now a queen mattress bumper. It's just a bit longer than the two sides of the mattress that meet the wall, and they provide a little amount of cushion when he's scooting himself across the mattress in the middle of the night, half asleep. He does that. Like a little mole. His face is down and he scoots on his stomach with his butt up in the air, scoot scoot scoot, here, there, back again. He moves quite a lot in his sleep. We're working on a night-night routine, and I've been sleeping with him until he is familiar with the room. I'm also weaning him from night time bottles. This is alot to throw at him at once, but I'm tired of washing sheets every single day, if I don't wake up at 2 a.m. to change him (and risk waking him as well).

He likes to have me right where he is, so it's hard to get anything done. I've been trying to clean out my spare room and turn it into my craft room, thus giving myself precedence over my non-existent guests. I finally got him to take a nap, and he had a nice long rest. He just woke up and I'm marveling in the moment. I can hear him happily playing and singing and cooing and having a good time. I don't want him to see me and decide he has to cry until I come be with him, so here I am, blogging, but more importantly, hiding from him. Hiding from my own son!

It's been about twenty minutes. He's been alone long enough now, and is starting to lose interest with the things in his room. I must go snuggle my Boo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home