Friday, January 13, 2006

Show and Tell - Favorite Room

Show and Tell this week is our favorite room. This is my first house and I love that I finally have a house, although it's by far nothing like my dream home. It has a somewhat typical American suburban development tract floor plan that doesn't make much sense to me, but given my options and budget, this is what I have. I don't have a favorite room, per se. I thought of posting a picture of my bedroom, as I long, LONG, for a good and full night's sleep. But I spend almost no time there, unless I am sleeping. I thought of posting my kitchen, which I love, in that it is much bigger than anything I've ever had, has a pantry and an island and a deep sink. But it's messy, and really sort of average, all in all. Plus, I feel like a slave to the chore of feeding the family sometimes, so it's not always my favorite place. Especially when I don't get as much help keeping things clean and tidy as I would like. The other living room used to be my favorite, but then we got this ridiculously big tv that doesn't fit inside the armoire (I like things tidy and electronics concealed -- it's good feng shui, you know), so I had to move the armoire out, which is a very pleasing article, with nice bookshelf units on each side. The room used to be balanced and nice. Now we have a very comfy sectional sofa to go with the tv, but the room is too small for it, so it just doesn't work. Plus, we also have a crib next to the sofa. It's very crowded in that little room, so I don't like it's looks at all any more. But the function is nice. Many people can hang out in comfort and ooh and ahh at the amazing detail one can see in high definition tv. But. Not my favorite room any more. I therefore offer this picture. This is taken from the sofa in the diaper changing living room. I like to sit there on occasion and look up at all the crazy lines and angles in the ceiling. (Floor level is more cluttered than I like.) I like the tiffany style pendant lamps and the vaulted ceiling and the skinny rectangular windows. I like the skylights in the upstairs loft. I like to sit here and daydream about what kind of crazy lines and angles I want to build into my dream home. They will be more meaningful lines, though, with practical and useful features and functions.

Go see Blackbird for more show and tell!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like a cool house! I love the Tiffany lamp. Are parts of the walls a mauve color?

10:51 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger sueeeus said...

Wall colors: the purple is sort of a heliotrope. Ha! Just saw that as a color name yesterday and had to repeat it. It's a sort of dark lavender, not really mauve. More of a real purple, a little murky. There is a color called dune, as in sand dune, and one called sphynx, as in ancient Egypt sand sculpture. Sort of sandy tan themes, two shades from the same color strip. There is also a bamboo green, but I don't think that wall showed up in the pic. And of course the plain white.

11:03 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger mathomhouse said...

I remember watching the shadow shows on the ceiling and walls when my girls were babies, lying on the couch at some odd hour of day or night. Simple pleasures.

11:08 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger blackbird said...

well, from what I can see, I like this room very much - I love that you did REAL color and I like the balcony and funky windows.

3:57 PM, January 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home