Saturday, December 24, 2005

And then it dawned on me...

...the realization that I'm usually sick on holidays. This goes back as far as I can remember. The sickest I've ever been has always been on a holiday or break. As far back as high school, and college. I'd never be sick, until break time, when whatever stored up depletions (is that an oxymoron?) would band together and hit me with the full might of their fury. This may be a trait I share with my dad. To his credit, he never missed a day of work in his life. He would get sick from time to time, but always on a break or a holiday. Is it will? Willing oneself not to be sick, holding it at bay until one's duties are fulfilled?

I've been in the working world for 20 years, and my company provides sick leave. It's okay to miss work once in a while. But I rarely do. Instead, I get sick on holidays and vacations. How smart is that? This is MY time. My precious time. I get so little time off. It shouldn't be spent being sick.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I hope you are feeling better very quickly so that you and your family can enjoy the holiday break.

For many years my husband used to get sick on the first day of the holidays. He was a teacher and exposed to all sorts of germs but never got sick during term time, only on holidays. Now he's retired so he doesn't have to get sick at all!!

2:41 AM, December 26, 2005  
Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Same thing with me woman. Feel better!

Wishing you much joy and wonder in the new year!

3:25 PM, December 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home