Sunday, August 28, 2005

Slug tracks on spider webs

What an interesting title. There must be a story behind that one. Hmmmm. Welllll, let me see. Yes, there is, indeed. My mother is visiting for the weekend. She's a smoker and steps outside frequently to light up. Last night she came back in and asked me if I knew there was something that emitted a sharp point of light, in a crevice among the rocks in the rock wall. In the rocks, I asked? Not on the bank? I do have a set of solar lanterns that do not spend much time collecting sunlight, and I've noticed at night they try to shine, but they only muster up a tiny point of bluish light. They are lined up behind a box of lilies (or what's left of the lilies, as they have bloomed and wilted). No, she insists the strange light is coming from among the rocks. How odd. I ask the cool cat to go investigate. We've had raccoons back there eating the plums. Perhaps a varmint has moved in among the boulders and is peering out and the strange light is the moonlight glinting from his beady little eyes. As it turns out, there is no varmint. It is merely the sparkle of moonlight reflecting off the slimy trail left behind as a slug meandered through or across a spider web.

In retrospect, it's not a very interesting story, but it was funny at the time. One would have to know my mother. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Suse said...

Varmint! Now there's a great word. (Not heard in Australia, but it SHOULD be!).

4:30 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger sueeeus said...

Ha! So very back woods Yank indeed!!

varĀ·mint
n. Informal

One that is considered undesirable, obnoxious, or troublesome.

5:58 AM, August 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home