Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Self Portrait Tuesday

A long time ago I found this vintage mobile at a yard sale. When I say a long time ago, I mean over twenty years ago... It accompanied me through my many moves and various relationships. Also many years ago, I made a painting for my dear friend Pea Soup when she became a mother. The color photo copiers had just come on the market and I made a copy before I sent the original off to her. I think it may have been my first painting. It's one in a three part series I had in my mind. The first in the sequence is a female figure lovingly and protectively embraced by a male figure (part of this painting is exposed in the photo above, on the right). The second in the sequence is a female figure in the bloom of pregnancy, the male embracing her with his hands gently and lovingly placed on her full belly. I never finished this one, but I did make a mosaic of a female figure in full bloom. It may appear in a future SPT post. The third in the sequence (which is the first I actually painted) is the female figure with the babe in her arms.
The series was a self-portrait series based on my hopes and dreams of family and motherhood. The little pastel angels and clouds in the mobile are so adorable. I still love them after all these years. They also represent my hopes and dreams of motherhood. This is the year I finally put them up, as this is the year that I became a mother. I am a believer in dreams coming true, even though some may take forever!

2 Comments:

Blogger Suse said...

I didn't realise my painting was one of a set! How precious.

It lives in my study so I see it every day as I work, study, sew, blog ...

It is a very special gift. Thank you.

7:54 PM, August 30, 2005  
Blogger kath red said...

i wanted to let you know i have set up an SPT blog at selfportraittuesday.blogspot.com

6:52 PM, September 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home